Friday, February 7, 2014

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

To me, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial is one of those classic films that can be seen over and over again and you can find something that you never noticed about it before in previous watching's. This was definitely certain while I was watching it in class. One of the first new things that I noticed was the amount of smoke and fog that is found in the film. In fact, while watching one of the first scenes with the kids sitting around the table I noticed what looked like cigarette smoke billowing around them which made it seem like the setting was a bar filled with adults rather than a bunch of kids sitting around playing Dungeons and Dragons.

This was surprising to me because before I had always thought of E.T. as a kids film about a boy who befriended and shared feelings with an alien and it was as simple as that. After re-watching the movie I think that it has much deeper issues impacted into it including the breakdown of the American family. This cultural anxiety is implicated in the film so much. The running theme of there being no father around in the family, as he's "in Mexico with Sally" and the mother being so distressed by this she doesn't even notice that her kids are housing an alien in their room is huge.  Not only that, but all adults (except Mary) in the first half of the film are only shown as mysterious silhouettes or (even more mysterious) shown from the waist down.

This is most prominent for the character of Keys (ha keys, I see what you did there Spielberg). He is not only completely mysterious to the viewer in the beginning of the film but also in a way he is really scary and creepy. Then, his face is actually revealed near the middle/end of the movie and (to me) he is STILL scary and creepy. I never trusted him when he was talking to Elliot about how E.T. had "came to him too." He was about as trustworthy as Elliot's actual father in my mind.

There were some other things brought up in Tomasulo's essay "The Gospel according to Spielberg in E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial" about the film that I also had never noticed before. I am not very religious and was quite skeptical about how E.T. related to it before reading the essay but now that I have, I do see a lot of the Christian imagery being used in the film including E.T. being almost Jesus like and being resurrected and such. The Christian imagery that was brought up that interested me the most though, was the E.T. movie poster basically replicating Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel artwork depicting God creating Adam. The images really parallel each other. 


Overall, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial is still an amazing film and will always be a classic no matter how many religious or other comparisons there are and I loved finding new things about it.

3 comments:

  1. When the movie first started I thought the kids were smoking in the kitchen. The fog was a little over done in the film but did help created the eery feeling of mystery. I think the scene with Elliot washing his plate and the fog billowing up around him was unnecessary. I think it was supposed to be the steam from the water but it was so intense it just got awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't make that connection with the kitchen scene looking like a bar but that does make a lot of sense now. Maybe to go along with the breakdown of the family, he was also making an analogy to kids growing up more quickly. That the boys were running the household and acting like adults by being up late and ordering pizza without the mom's permission.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spielberg can be a bit heavy-handed with the effects and symbolism alright. Some good observations here. But what does it all add up to, do you think? What do the Christian symbolism, untrustworthiness of adult males (and father figures) and all the intrusive fog have to do with each other, do you think? Take that next step and see where your thoughts go! Also, use the reading a bit more explicitly--it makes your analysis stronger.

    ReplyDelete